Volunteers wanted for Orange-bellied parrot monitoring
The Department of Primary Industries, Parks, Water and Environment (DPIPWE) is calling for applications for volunteer positions to monitor the wild population of the critically endangered Orange-bellied Parrot (OBP).
Volunteer Activities include observing and recording birds of multiple species, providing supplementary feed for OBPs, cleaning the feed tables and managing remote cameras.
To undertake these activities, volunteers should demonstrate their skills, knowledge and experience in relation to the following Selection Criteria:
- Ability to live in a remote and isolated location for a 2 or 4 week period
- Confident travelling on light aircraft
- Ability to accurately identify bird species and ID bands with a spotting scope
- Ability to accurately record data on datasheets and electronic apps
- Ability to walk up to 6km per day on uneven ground and carry weights of up to 7kg
- Current first aid qualifications, or obtain them prior to volunteering
- Well-developed interpersonal and oral communication skills and the ability to work as a member of a team.
Volunteers are invited to apply to spend four weeks at Melaleuca between the 24th of September 2019 and the 7th of May 2020. Shorter shifts (a minimum of 2 weeks) may be considered. Volunteers work in pairs, and pairs that are already known to each other are encouraged to apply.
Volunteers are provided with light aircraft flights from Hobart to Melaleuca, accommodation in a rustic hut, PPE relevant to the volunteer activities, and induction and support from DPIPWE. Volunteers must provide their own food, sleeping bag, and clothing suitable to the often adverse field conditions at Melaleuca, Tasmania.
To apply, please provide a Short Form Application, which is a 1-2 page covering letter outlining your experience, skills, knowledge and ability as they relate to the Volunteer Activities, Selection Criteria and living conditions, a copy of your current Resumé/CV, and your available start dates and periods of availability according to the schedule below.
Email your application to OBP.Program@dpipwe.tas.gov.au. Applications must be received by Friday the 2nd of August 2018.
Applicants are encouraged to contact Friends of OBP Branch of WIidcare Inc to learn about the benefits of joining Wildcare: https://wildcaretas.org.au/branches/friendsobp/
Scheduled start date: 24/9/2019, 8/10/2019, 22/10/2019, 5/11/2019, 19/11/2019, 3/12/2019, 17/12/2019, 31/12/2019, 14/01/2020, 28/01/2020, 11/02/2020, 25/02/2020, 10/03/2020, 24/03/2020, 07/04/2020, 21/04/2020.
Period: 4 weeks (preferred) or 2 weeks