Friends of the OBP
The Wildcare Friends of Orange-bellied Parrot provides volunteers and assists with fund raising and research activities under the National Orange-bellied Parrot Recovery Plan.
- Statement of Duties - Word Version - OBP - statement of duties
- Statement of duties - PDF version
- Wildcare OBP AGM Sep 17 Minutes
- FoOBP General Meeting Minutes - 30 May 2019_
- CHANGES TO THE OBP MONITORING PROGRAM ADMINISTRATION MC June 17
- FoOBP Members volunteer accommodation at Melaleuca
- OBP Melaleuca Volunteers EOI July 2020
With a kilometre between observation posts and feed tables bike-riding is the ideal way for volunteers to get around.
Where we work
The Wildcare Friends of the OBP group undertakes work throughout the OBP’s range.
What we do
The objectives of the group are to:
- Assist with the observation at Melaleuca (SW Tasmania)
- Conduct migration and winter surveys
- Assist with OBP habitat management projects
- Raise awareness of the plight of the OBP
- Raise funds to support the activities of volunteers and other recovery actions
DPIPWE volunteers observe Orange-bellied Parrots visiting the feed tables, recording individual colour-bands and nest observations. This data is collected for the department’s OBP Management Group to monitor survival and breeding success of wild and captive-bred release birds. Members of our group also conduct surveys during the northern migration (March-June) along the north-west coast and on King Island. We also assist our counterparts on the mainland with winter surveys. An increasingly important role of FOOBP is recovery program advocacy and fund raising. We are currently involved in some exciting new projects and, through a range of partnerships, we hope to raise much needed funds to support our volunteers and other parts of the recovery program.
Visit the GALLERY to view images of the Friends of the OBP in action.
Accommodation at Melaleuca
If you are a member of the Friends of the OBP and are selected as a volunteer for the OBP Summer Monitoring Program, member accommodation at Melaleuca, may be available to you.
For more information on FoOBP accommodation at Melaleuca please contact Mark Holdsworth, Liasion Officer on 0419 120 298 or email email@example.com
For all other enquiries about any aspect of your volunteer work and accommodation available through the DPIPWE Program at Melaleuca please contact Shannon Troy on email firstname.lastname@example.org
President – Marianne Gee email@example.com
Treasurer – Will Oliver
Secretary – Marg Cranney firstname.lastname@example.org