Volunteer Caretaker Opportunity
The New Summer ‘volunteer caretaker’ program at the Bruny Island Quarantine Station is now available. It will commence 16 October 2014 and continue until 2 April 2015.
Volunteer Caretakers are asked to cover a four-week block including weekends with the switch over day being a Thursday. Outgoing Volunteer Caretakers are asked to brief the incoming caretakers along with a person from the Parks and Wildlife Service (PWS) and/or Friends of Bruny Island Quarantine Station.
Volunteer Caretaker Duties will include:
- Opening the gates to the site and displaying welcoming flags at gate and jetty area;
- Meeting and greeting visitors and providing information about the Station;
- Monitoring and recording visitor numbers and impact and conduct visitor surveys if required;
- Maintaining an obvious presence to protect the site from inappropriate behaviour by visitors and communicating with PWS Bruny Island on any issues of concern;
- Carrying out minor maintenance of tasks identified in the approved work program;
- Acting as first response in the event of emergency and make room for communication hub if needed;
- Reporting issues such safety hazards and bushfire risk to PWS Bruny Island staff; and
- Other tasks identified and appropriate to the capacity of individual Volunteer Caretakers.
For more information about the program and expectations check out the Information and Application Form