Historical Eagle Creek Track Cleanup
The Wildcare Friends of Macquarie Harbour and Waterways will be conducting a clean up of the historical Eagle Creek Track beginning April 12th over three days and two nights. Transportation will be provided by “Stormbreaker.” All gear and provisions need to be self provided.
Joining the Franklin and Gordon Rivers, this is part of the track that Governor Sir John and Lady Jane FRANKLIN took when visiting the west in 1842. Originally cut in 1840’s by Tasmania’s Surveyor General James Calder, aided by a gang of convicts, it took two years of the most arduous, wet, miserable work to forge a way from Lake St. Clare through scrub, mountainous terrain, then after crossing the Franklin River, through tea-tree plains below the Elliot Range before plunging into dense rainforest bordering the Gordon River.