Maria Island Weeding
Weeding Montpellier Broom on Maria Island 17th to 22nd September 2021 (Friday to Wednesday) – 4 days activity. Leave Triabunna Friday PM and returning on Wednesday (depending on ferry times).
This project began in 2005, and primary control was completed in 2014. Ongoing monitoring continues, to prevent any further seeding over the approx. 300 sites. We work on Skipping Ridge and in Bernacchis Valley. Weeding involves pulling smaller plants and cutting and pasting larger plants (very few). We will work in areas of rough terrain and thick bush. Tools and instruction provided.
Average hours worked are 6-7 this includes walking to sites and meal breaks.
Cost of transport to the island is covered. Accommodation is provided by Parks and Wildlife Service Tasmania, with all facilities. Camping an option nearby.
- Daypack (to hold lunch, snacks, water, tools, waterproofs, first aid etc.)
- Small mat to sit or kneel on
- Personal First Aid Kit
- Water bottle
- Light indoor shoes
- Boots, gaiters, long trousers, long sleeve shirt (Please ensure that boots, gaiters etc. are scrubbed clean of mud and free of seeds, as we want to avoid introducing more weeds, and phytophthora!)
- Spare clothes
- Sunscreen, hat and insecticide
- Sleeping bag + sheet to cover mattress (+ pillow if wanted)
- Mosquito net is useful
- Food for all meals + snacks and drinks
We RECYCLE on the island (collect compost, seperate packaging for taking home, and hence only have a small amount of rubbish for landfill).
If you would like to join us or would like more information, please email Anne Booth – email@example.com
We give priority to those that can volunteer for the 4 days.