WILDCARE Friends of GIS
Friends of GIS are a self help group that meet on a regular basis to learn the QGIS mapping software. We come from a wide range of Wildcare groups across the state and help each other to prepare maps of our areas of interest. We are also happy to take on mapping tasks for other groups in the hope that they will also learn the software.
- QGIS Package 1 - Getting started - downloading the software and getting it installed (Windows PC)
- QGIS Package 2 - Downloading some background raster maps
- QGIS Package 3 - Tasmanian vector data - where to get it and important attribution requirements
- QGIS Package 4 - Some online documents and videos on using QGIS
- SampleMap - Sample of the sort of maps that we create
Who we are
Friends of GIS are a self help group that meet on a regular basis to learn the QGIS software. We come from a wide range of Wildcare groups across the state and help each other to prepare maps of our areas of interest.
Members have a range of special interests. We can support users on Windows, Mac and Android devices. QGIS was chosen as our software of choice as its open source and free. Its also supported world wide by a very active community of developers.
Where we work
At this stage we hold our sessions at the Parks and Wildlife Offices at Glenorchy (1-3 Murrayfield Court, Glenorchy) however we are keen to support people in other locations. This can be accomplished via email.
What we do
We are all learning the QGIS software as well as the fundamentals of using Geographical Information Systems (GIS). This includes the use of GPS’s for data capture. We also have use of Fulcrum software for data capture in the field using iPads. If you would like assistance in capturing data just drop us an email and will try and assist you with your issues.
Most recently the Fulcrum software has been used for the following purposes
- Rat eradication on Big Green Island
- Weed data on Tasman and Maatsuyker Island
- Historic artifacts on Tasman Island
President – Phil Wyatt email@example.com